CHOOSING & SUBMITTING A PHOTO:

I work from photographs without the use of transfer, reproduction, enlargement or projection equipment so the larger the photo, the better. Photos smaller than 4 x 6 are too small to see detail. We can work together to help you take or find the best photo of your subject to work from. For the best portrait, I need a clear, crisp, close-up photograph from which to copy. The more detail I can see within the photograph, the more detail you can see within your pencil portrait. Your photograph needs to capture the character of the subject so that I can do the same.

PHOTOGRAPH ESSENTIALS:

Photos taken in natural light, without flash, are better but not required.

When selecting a photo, look for a candid shot, although I have used many studio or posed photographs over the years, candid photos tend to more clearly display the subject's personality.

Photos should be clear and show details of face.

In general, with images transferred via email, the bigger the actual file size, the better.Send at least one good photograph showing the face of the subject(s).

Send a photo that conveys the personality of the subject, if possible.

For custom pet portraits: If the fur color varies across photos, identify the most accurate match.

For custom pet portraits: If possible, send a photo taken at your pet's level so he/she is looking straight at the camera.

If you require a portrait with more than one pet or person and you do not have a good photograph of them together, separate photographs may be used to make up the composition for the portrait or painting .

Your photo(s) will be returned, unharmed, with your finished portrait. However, I do highly suggest that if you are sending physical prints that photos either be "doubles" or reprints. I also recommend that if a duplicate is not available that the photo be or scanned at high resolution and sent electronically. Because I DO physically hold the photo as I am drawing, I cannot guarantee that your photo will return sans fingerprints or a few graphite smudges on the backside but I generally encase the photos in clear plastic report covers for protection while I am working.

Because all of my work is done freehand, I will not duplicate or retain your photo. I may scan your photo and work from a computer monitor if the photo is old or fragile. I will not replicate your photo for any reason nor will it be reprinted or shared without your express permission. I do ask your permission to use the image in my portfolio for side by side comparative purposes (like the photo above).